Monday, September 29, 2008
My apologies to Otis Redding, and we're not sitting on a dock, but a deck, in the Outer Banks. The kids and I came down last week and hung out in Duck, NC for the nor'easter that blew through. It was really cool to see it- lots of wind and rain, storm overwash on the roads, and the roads completely covered with sea water in spots. It was particularly bad in Kitty Hawk.
This week, we're back on Avon, our little town we like so well. We have a different house this time, since ours wasn't available the week we wanted to come down. It's a couple of streets over, has direct beach access, and we can also swim in the pool. I'm here with a friend and her 3 kids, so we're definitely a crowd. I also wrangled a deal, and she's doing the cooking all week, so I'm free as a bird. Nothing to do but contemplate the sand and sea, and look for the next photo op.
The disparity between this life and my real one is quite a shock to the system!
Sunday, June 22, 2008
Thursday, May 15, 2008
You know you're from Ohio if...
- You don't think of Florida first when someone mentions Miami.
- You snicker when someone's from Tiffin, because you think of the State Hospital.
- You think Pro football teams are supposed to wear orange!
- Schools close for the state basketball tournament. Deer season, too.
- You're proud of your state fair, but would rather go to Cedar Point.
- You know all the 4 seasons: Winter, Still Winter, Almost Winter, and Construction.
- You live less than 30 miles from some college or university.
- You know what a buckeye really is, and have a recipe for candy ones.
- "Toward the lake" means "north" and "toward the river" means "south."
- You know if other Ohioians are from southern or northern Ohio as soon as they open their mouths.
- You root for a college team though you've never taken a class there.
- You can spell words like Cuyahoga, Olentangy, Bellefontaine, Tuscarawas, Wapakoneta and you know which letter is doubled in "Cincinnati."
- You always visit more than two amusement parks in one summer.
- You know that Serpent Mounds were not made by snakes.
- You know what game they're playing when the Mud Hens take on the Clippers.
- "Vacation" means spending a day at Cedar Point or King's Island.
- You measure distance in minutes.
- Down south to you means Kentucky.
- Your school classes were canceled because of cold.
- Your school classes were canceled because of heat.
- You've ridden the school bus for an hour each way.
- You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.
- You know what's knee-high by the Fourth of July.
- You end your sentences with an unnecessary preposition. Example: "Where's my coat at?"
- You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.
- You think of the major four food groups as beef, pork, beer, and Jell-O salad with marshmallows.
- You carry jumper cables in your car.
- You know what pop is.
- You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
- Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.
- You think sexy lingerie is tube socks and a flannel nightie.
- The local paper covers national and international headlines on one page but requires 6 pages for sports.
- You think that deer season is a national holiday.
- You thought that the Phil Dirt and the Dozers was the most popular band in the country.
- You actually understand these jokes then forward 'em to all your OH friends!!
Nothing on the schedule to get up for- we needed this slow time in the morning today. Time to sit on the sofa, children gathered 'round, reading about Flower Fairies.
An oldest child, hard at work on an essay, preparing for college, plans in place.
An older child playing hymns on her flute.
An older brother reading 'Brambly Hedge' to two transfixed younger siblings.
A middle child curled up in a chair, lost in stories.
4 cubic yards of soil being delivered, so we can start our gardens. Boxes already waiting to be filled with good dirt.
Band tonight, with a concert tomorrow. A fun, creative, productive time, and a reward for hard work this spring.
I think I can breathe again...
Friday, May 9, 2008
We get in there, and the Dr. is poking around BoyCub's bladder, and we've already done the urinalysis, which of course is normal, and Doc says 'He's just constipated, and it's affecting his bladder.' Of course he is. Because I can't have a truly sick child, right?
Then he moves on to Pip. I told him I thought it was allergies. He starts checking him out, and says 'No, his ears are red, and he's got a lot of stuff going down the back of his throat. I think it's more than just allergies.' He looks a little further, and lo and behold, Pip has STUCK AN AIR-SOFT PELLET UP HIS NOSE!!! AUGH! An Air-soft pellet is a small neon green, clear hard piece of plastic, for the uninitiated. About the size of a pea. And it's obviously been there a while, since he has no idea how it got there. I asked him repeatedly, and the suggestions just got better and better. 'Maybe it ricocheted up there!' 'Maybe Squeak put it up there when I was asleep! No, wait, I go to sleep later than she does...' All said with a slightly apologetic smile and a shrug.
Saturday, April 12, 2008
I assume this is from our d=rt conversation the other day, which pertained to vehicle speed, just for the record. And just for the record, I WAS RIGHT THAT TIME!
And just to update on 2nd CubKid's big music contest last weekend, she did very well. The steel drum group scored a 1 (top score), and the comments were great. She also received a 1 on her piano. When it came time for her flute solo, which had fallen apart in spectacular fashion the weekend prior, I told her not to worry about it. The judge she had was giving out 2's and 3's- he'd given about 6 1's all day. I just told her to go in and do her best, and we wouldn't worry about the score. She did fine, 2 little trouble spots, but sailed through much better than the prior week, and we were both pretty pleased. He didn't write very long, so we figured it probably going to be one of his favored 2's. Well, she wound up being one of the 10 1's he gave all day. And then, silly me, I volunteered to take her and 3 friends shopping after, since they'd all done so well. What was I thinking? Repeat after me- never, ever, ever take 4 teenage girls to the mall without tranquilizers. I'm not sure for whom, but they're definitely necessary! I'm still traumatized...
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Friday, April 4, 2008
First of all, we're all good. Busy, but good. Second CubKid has a big music contest tomorrow- playing steel drum, flute, and piano. Soccer looks like a wash, literally. We've had about 3" of rain today. I offered to stay home and clean house, but the Lion King said he'd chance the soccer. Actually, I believe the comment was he'd rather be drowned on the soccer field, than be forced to sit through umpteen middle school music performances. All righty then. Off I go, at the lovely hour of 7.15am.
We are winding down our school year- reading more, Math still going, and finishing up the co-ops we're in. I'm in pretty good shape for planning next year. The Little Cubs need the most attention, since they're both just reading, so that's the direction we're heading.
Today was Government and Biology- the Supreme Court, and boiling purple cabbage leaves. I think I need a nap.
More later, I wouldn't want this to become a habit or anything.
Thursday, January 17, 2008
1. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE ? Yes, my aunt and my godmother. And neither parent can explain why they called me by my middle name. Do y'all realize the chaos it causes at the DMV?
2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED? January 2nd, when we put our cat down.
3. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? Not really. It's too messy.
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT? Tuna fish. That should come as no surprise.
5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS? Too many, some days.
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU? I'd like to think so.
7. DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT? Nope, never. ;-)
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS? Yes, my mom wouldn't let the dr. take them out.
9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP? Not any more. I probably would have in my wild and crazy youth.
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL? At the moment, Peanut Butter Crunch. I love cereal at night, before I go to bed. Cheerios are a good standby.
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF? Nope. And I like wearing them loose enough to just slip them on, even if they tie- my big, clunky hikers come to mind.
12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG? Yes. I am Mother, hear me roar.
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM? Rocky Road or Phish food. I've always loved the chocolate/marshmallow combination.
14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE? If they seem intense or calm.
15. RED OR PINK? Definitely red. I'm not a pink person.
17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST? My family overseas. We only see them once a year, at best.
18. WHAT COLOR PANTS AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING? Blue jeans and white socks. Makes the sorting simpler.
19. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE? Lunch- leftovers from the Olive Garden.
20. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? A George Winston CD, and my kids bounce around the kitchen.
21. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? Periwinkle Blue.
22. FAVORITE SMELLS? Pine and wood smoke. I love the Mistletoe Yankee Candle fragrance. Everyone commented on how good our tree smelled. I didn't tell.
23. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? Tam- and caught her in the shower. We seem to do this once a week or so.
24. FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH? OSU Buckeyes football, when I watch anything.
25. HAIR COLOR? Trying to stay blond/avoiding grey/turned brown.
26. EYE COLOR? Blue
27. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? Yup, since I was 10 or 11. And can't stand glasses.
28. FAVORITE FOOD? Pasta with chicken, noodles, mushrooms, spinach or peas, and lots and lots of garlic. Cheesecake Factory has a great one.
29. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS? I can't stand scary movies. Anything that can happen in real life freaks me out.
30. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED? Hercule Poirot with dh.
31. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING? Navy, with fall leaves embroidered on it. It's warm.
32. SUMMER OR WINTER? Autumn.
33. HUGS OR KISSES? Hugs. We have colds going around.
34. FAVORITE DESSERT? Chocolate. Any form or fashion.
35. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW? I always have 3-4 going at any one time. Usually a devotional type, light reading, something I'm researching for homeschool, and every once in a while, something a little deeper. Oldest dd and I are doing research right now on the Underground Railroad for 4H.
36. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD? It's boring blue, but has a gel wrist rest, to help with the carpal tunnel. I also have a trackball mouse.
37. WHAT DID YOU WATCH ON T.V. LAST NIGHT? Nothing. We don't watch TV as a rule.
38. FAVORITE SOUNDS? Music, songbirds, rain falling gently.
39. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES? Neither.
40. WHAT IS THE FARTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME? Europe.
41. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT? I'd like to think I have a few. I can turn my tongue completely over, and wiggle one ear on demand. These will get me far in life.
42. WHERE WERE YOU BORN? Rochester, New York.
I tag LB, Jen, and Tam.